Archive for October 2010
After a few days that I’m having this device, here are some more insights that I have on this great device… of course, bad things too .
Most of the bad things could be and I think will be fix in upcoming software updates.
Things I don’t like and don’t understand…
- What gives… from the photo album I can’t send photo to email!?!.
- From email, I’m limited to 2MB’ attachments!?!
- Ovi mail 1st’ set up has to go through the web?!?, even my X5230 does not do that.. weird and annoying!.
- When starting the Ovi store for the 1st’ time, you actually need to install the new client… can’t the device come with the client pre-installed ?!?
- This phone’s screen is a fingerprint magnet!, big time!.
- Its been almost a week with the N8 and I still didn’t find a way to play all the songs, regardless to album from the same artist… what the hell..?!?!?
- As a left handed person, its pretty hard to press the menu button..
- When done inserting my password, no need to press okay, if the code is correct, just unlock the device…
This I found out that I like about this phone:
- No need to take it out of pocket, when locked and music is on, the volume controls still works, helps on battery too(!)
- The camera is well.. AWESOME !!!
- When inserting a simple headphones there is no more prompt to ask how to use this accessory, it knows its a simple headphones and just lets you know to use device microphone.
- I like that Nokia uses the fact that it has an OLED screen and put this screen saver… its great, I love it, clock is always there.
- Audio quality is really good.
- Me, personally, like the design, very unique.
- Nice games are starting to see the light of day, with graphics acceleration card, it’s looking good!.
- The fully customizable home-screens are great, each home-screen can be “Its’ own device”.
- Something I loved ever since my E71 is the breathing light, on this device it looks really good, soft light when “breathing” and in panic attack when blinking for notifications.
- The HDMI out port is great, I tested it with a high def video on my TV, it looks and sounds amazing… big thumbs up for this one.
On both, the Like and DisLike, I’m sure I’ll find out more later on, this is for now
….”And now for something completely different”, some small tests I did for the N8′s camera.
Here is a video of a party in very dark room…:
So… it was a nightmare to get the N8, but I did!, don’t ask where/how, all I can/want to say is that it’s over, I have it in my hand, the price was not that bad, although, of course, I would have preferred Nokia’s USA pricing…
Its sitting right here beside me as I’m writing this and what can I say… I’m happy, for now .
(Nokia, it does not mean I forgive you for not being here in Canada… not yet at least)
I’m not going to do a “unboxing” video, I think that I (and pretty sure that you too) already saw at least 20 of them, its pretty obvious by now whats in the box .
Some of the home-screen short cuts are very similar to what I posted about the “N97mini home-screen tips“, so I did not have a great learning curve there, that’s good for whoever is familiar with Symbian.
Some things I like at the 1st’ 14H’:
1) When pulling out the headphones, the music pauses automatically, I love it.
2) The OLED screen is amazing, really nice colors and very clear picture.
3) I like the screen saver (not that it actually needs one) and I like the fact that you can change it, big clock, photos music player Etc’…
4) The widgets support got better and of course, I love it, seeing weather on home-screen, what a treat…hehe.
5) I did not try with over 6 apps yet, but its’ very responsive and fast.
6) One log-in to my Nokia account set me up with all 3 Ovi accounts, Maps, store and sync, cool.
Some things I did not like at the 1st’ 14H’:
1) In the music player, how can I listen to ALL the songs from one artist ?!?, I could not find it anywhere.. weird.
2) As left handed, its pretty hard to press the menu button!.
3) .. looking for more…
That’s it for now.
welcome to my life N8, hope you will help out
I got a short amazing story…
I want to get the new Nokia n8, if you read this blog you know it by now.
I, being in Canada can not order one via the Nokia online store. The Canada Nokia website has.. well.. nothing there, only what the cellphone providers have, which for me, means nothing!, I can’t call any Nokia stores in the USA and place an order cause there are none, both(NYC, Boston) got closed.
I asked a dear friend of mine to place the order for me, since she lives in the USA and I asked her to ship it via the website to a different address, close to Seattle to a another friend so I could easily ride down there from Vancouver and get it.
That was last week and two days ago, she got an email from Nokia store that the order has been canceled!, no reason why, just did.
“Weird”.. I thought… okay, have no fear, I have a friend who works with me, she still has her USA visa card and an American billing address, she was kind enough to help out (thnX K’).
I was sitting with K’ yesterday in her office while she is making the order for a brand new Nokia N8 for me .. woohoo… I feel it in my hand already… wait, “unknown error has occurred”.. hmm… weird, we tried two more times and got the same error in the online store, I told K’ “thnX, lets just try again tomorrow”.
This morning, I came by K’ office and she tells me “I’m with Nokia on the phone already, on waiting for 20min’, my card was preApproved 3 times !!”…
Yes, the order did go through, however we got an error, we kept on waiting with customers service and when she answered K’ got the answer she wanted “your card will not be processed, and defiantly not 3 times”, we asked to talk to sales, kept on waiting for a long time, after talking to sales we understood the error, well, not really.
apparently, the shipping address I gave K’ and my precious friend to ship the N8 too was “invalid” as Nokia is concerned (although its a USA shipping address), have no idea why, not only that, I can not use this address or any other info I gave (like credit card number, names, billing address Etc’…) for another 5 business days!, it needs to be cleared from Nokia online sales system so they claim, what the..%$^# ?!?.
I get the feeling I will not have the N8 in my hand anytime soon after all.
Nokia, Thank you for creating a great phone with high demand (45min’ waiting time on phone, I hope its all cause of the N8) and thank you for making it imposable to get in Canada!, I’ll give up for now, what a shame!, I thought you wanted to sell phones… trust me I asked a lot of people to help out in getting it…wow, who knew it will be that hard.
I love Nokia, truly am, but this is just annoying, VERY !.